It was very cool—in more ways than one.
Image Courtesy Silversea Cruises
1. Theodore TugboatThe procession will then proceed in a southerly direction close to the Halifax Boardwalk/Waterfront, providing ample opportunity for the public to view this ceremonial conclusion to Halifax’s celebration of Cunard Line’s 175th Anniversary. A naval artillery salute will take place shoreside from the wharf of the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic where music will be provided by the Stadacona Band. Queen Mary 2 and escort vessels will continue moving slowly southward along the Halifax sea wall and leaving Georges Island to port.
2. Tugboat Atlantic Oak (with water canons)
3. Queen Mary 2
4. HMCS Montreal
-- All Veranda Staterooms: Guests can choose from five stateroom categories, starting from a 270 sq. ft. Veranda Stateroom, all with private verandas, king-size beds, large showers and LCD TVs.As a response to strong demand for Viking's immersive itineraries, all three ships will sail popular routes in Scandinavia and the Baltic; and the Western and Eastern Mediterranean.
-- Explorer Suites: The ships feature 14 Explorer Suites, which are two-room suites ranging from 757 to 1,163 sq. ft. that offer sweeping views from wraparound private verandas as well as the most amenities and privileges of any category onboard.
-- Two Pool Choices: In addition to the Main Pool with a retractable dome permitting any-season swimming, the ships feature a glass-backed Infinity Pool off the stern, allowing guests to swim surrounded by their destination.
-- LivNordic Spa: In keeping with Viking's Nordic heritage, The Spa onboard is designed with the holistic qwewellness philosophy of Scandinavia in mind, from the centuries-old tradition of the sauna to a Snow Grotto where snowflakes gently descend from the ceiling through chilled air.
-- Explorers' Lounge and Wintergarden: Spaces designed to facilitate mingling and storytelling, the two-deck Explorers' Lounge at the bow is the perfect spot for taking in scenery through double-height windows over a glass of aquavit or pint of local craft beer; and the Wintergarden is a serene environment in which to relax and enjoy afternoon tea service complete with a hand-selected teas.
-- Dining Choices: Viking's ships offer multiple restaurant locations and food choices, from The Restaurant and the World Café, serving a variety of global cuisines and regional specialties and Mamsen's, which serves Norwegian deli-style fare, to intimate dining experiences at The Chef's Table, Manfredi's Italian Restaurant and The Kitchen Table, all serving meals prepared with fresh, local ingredients. Furthermore, with multiple choices for outdoor seating during meals, Viking's ocean ships offer more al fresco dining than any other ships.
-- Enriching Entertainment: Connecting passengers to their destinations through authentic experiences is central to Viking Cruises, and onboard venues include a dramatic three-deck atrium where passengers can enjoy musicians playing regional and classical music; the Theater, home of enrichment lectures from scholars and experts; an onboard cooking school where guests can learn how to prepare local specialties; and Torshavn, a piano lounge where guests can relax, mingle, and exchange stories after a day of exploring.
-- Sustainable Features: Designed with the environment in mind, Viking's ocean ships feature energy-efficient hybrid engines, hydro-dynamically optimized streamlined hulls and bows for maximum fuel efficiency, onboard solar panels, and equipment that minimizes exhaust pollution and meets the strictest environmental regulations.
• Led by the Ministry of Environment, in conjunction with the Galapagos National Park, the nation set out to break the world's reforestation record by encouraging thousands to plant more than 647,000 trees in one day.In addition, another group of Celebrity Xpedition vacationers also had "front-row seats" to the eruption of Volcán Wolf, off the northern end of Isabela Island.
• Celebrity guests and dedicated crew, already involved in Celebrity Xpedition's newly introduced, immersive Scalesia tree reforestation shore excursion project, were able to contribute to the country's major feat.
• The Celebrity Cruises Scalesia-saving project is the first-of-its-kind experience conducted by a cruise line in collaboration with the Galapagos National Park.
• Fish Stories About Sharks: Guests will learn amazing and interesting facts about sharks through a quiz-style participative activity, hosted by the Cruise Staff. The theme will be fun and humor separating truth from “fish tales.”Additionally, each year Princess Cruises will offer select cruises with enhanced Shark Week experiences, giveaway items and culinary bites and beverages. To kick off Shark Week at Sea in 2015, guests aboard four voyages—Golden Princess departing San Francisco on June 21 and July 1 and Ruby Princess departing Seattle on June 28 and July 5—will not only enjoy the sights of their Alaska cruise and the Discovery at Sea activities, they will also be treated to the following limited-time only Shark Week offerings:
• Swim with the Sharks: An interactive competition will have guests taking part in various fun, active and hilarious challenges. At the end of five rounds the contestant or team who has won the most challenges ultimately wins the game.
• Guess the Number of Shark Teeth in the Jar: A strategically located jar filled with “faux” shark teeth along with entry slips allow guests to participate anytime during the cruise for a chance to guesstimate the correct number.
• Premiere TV Content: Before Shark Week airs, July 5-12 on Discovery Channel, Princess guests will get a sneak peek at select trailers and promotional spots, as well as a first look at “Ninja Sharks,” a new special exploring six sharks with unique adaptations that have evolved over millions of years making them the most lethal of their kind.
• Décor & Giveaways: One elevator on each ship will be wrapped to appear as though guests are inside a shark cage and public restrooms will feature themed mirror decals. Families traveling with kids 3-12 years old will receive a rubber shark toy at turndown and special prizes for Shark Week activities including shark fin hats. Kids will also be treated to special shark-themed activities including crafts, t-shirt decorating, temporary tattoos and face painting.The Discovery at Sea partnership, which debuted in 2015, creates new memorable vacation experiences for the whole family. From Stargazing to activities featuring Discovery hit shows such as MythBusters, Deadliest Catch and Gold Rush to immersive Discovery and Animal Planet shore excursions, Princess guests will come back with a story to tell.
• Shark Week Premiere Party: Each cruise ship will host premiere parties to live stream Shark Week content and roll out the blue carpet, complete with a Shark Week themed backdrop for photos. Guests will also enjoy themed table top decals, trivia games and giveaways.
• Bites & Beverages: Shark cakes created by Princess pastry chefs, as well as ice and fruit carvings will be on display in the atrium for guests to enjoy. Shark cookies will also be offered in the International Café and during daily Atrium milk and cookie hour, as well as specialty shark-themed cocktails and custom drink koozies.
• Entertainment: Even onboard comedians will keep guests in stitches with shark-themed humor, while casino lovers can test their luck at blackjack and craps tables wrapped with shark-themed images. Costumed sharks will make appearances around the ship and special photo borders and green screens will be available for the ultimate photo opportunities and selfies.
Silver Explorer: Owner's, Grand, Silver, Medallion, and Expedition suitesSilversea's all-suite ships feature stem-to-stern Wi-Fi, in port and at sea, enabling guests to conveniently access the Internet on their personal devices in public spaces and suites, or on the computers in the Internet cafés available on all ocean ships and the Silver Explorer.
Silver Galapagos: Silver, Deluxe Veranda, and Veranda suites
Silver Discoverer: Medallion, Veranda, and Vista suites